Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Thought

O Magazine has a feature of "A Million Ways to Save the World." This comment was in this month's issue:

"Our culture has vastly overvalued the lives of the rich and famous. Our children no longer hunger to be good citizens, but merely well-known ones. In our misguided quest for heros, we've made fame the most coveted virtue. But when our heroes cease to do heroic things, and we still venerate them, where does that leave our culture? It is time to restore balance. Let's boycott celebrity and celebrate instead all the unnamed warriors trying to make a positive impact on our daily lives."

--Lynn Nottage

6 comments:

Lynda B said...

If those "unnamed warriors" got as much exposure as celebrities it would be easier to "hero-ize" them. As for me, celebrities don't even show up on my list of admirable people. I would be willing to guess that it's the same for quite a few people....in my opinion, it's the main-stream media that is so in love with celebrities.

Unknown said...

It was so nice to see you yesterday, Kari...what a treat for me to be at Hugo sp mtg. I've never been there!!!

Ryan & Kari said...

I think the main stream media does fuel it, but people pay money to read and watch celebrities for no other reason than they ARE celebrities.
Julie, nice to see you as well. I came after lunch to introduce you to my husband, but alas, you had disappeared.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Regina said...

There's a billboard here in town that says something like this: If integrity were celebrity you would know our employees by name.
Too bad integrity isn't celebrity!

Gretchen said...

I am taking this quote to post on my blog. Gretchen