Saturday, December 1, 2007

An UnWicked New York

Ryan and I are back from New York and Connecticut. I was up for an NCTE (National Conference of Teachers of English) conference. The conference was good. Amy Tan was the opening speaker, and I was able to hear a few gurus in education.
Ryan came up on Sunday. We did walking tours of Greenwich Village, SoHo and the Financial District.




We loved the MoMA--This might be my favorite art museum thus far. It is the museum that your modern art history class textbook authors came to to write their textbooks.

I always thought the soup cans were all together. The spacing was interesting. My favorite Warhol by far.
Starry Night


I am in the picture to give a little perspective. I had no idea this Jackson Pollock was so HUGE!
This was Ryan's favorite picture. It is actually an ariel photograph of junk. The "man" and his reflection are the floor space. The junk is full-sized junk. Old chairs, coke cans, tires, etc.

We saw the Radio City Spectacular with the Rockettes. That was an amazing show.

Walking around the Times Square area, we saw many many people holding signs and drinking coffee. What impressed us about these people (mostly men) was that they weren't working. Which meant our Wicked tickets were only good for the refund. We are two for two for vacations and strikes.

.
This was a sculpture that stood between the Twin Towers.
They have moved it to Battery Park. They have added the flame at the base.
Ryan took this video of the Merchant Marine sculpture. The effect of it varies with the tides.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Great pictures! Looks like you had a nice time. Come see us sometime! lv, andrea

Regina said...

UnWicked? That's a shame! I loved that musical! If you ever get the chance to see it, do so!